Wednesday, March 18, 2009

A hay-penny will do

When I was growing up, we had a Bing Crosby Christmas record that had a song addressing the charitable spirit of the season. One line went something like "if you've got a penny, a penny will do; if you simply have a hay-penny, then God bless you." I suppose that means that if you are down to a hay-penny, then you don't have enough even to give a little to charity. A hay-penny was a half penny. It was an English coin.

But if there were a hay-penny in the U.S. currency, I suppose I'd be chasing after them because I think every little bit helps. For example:

1. It really bothers me that when there is some stereo-typical profile of a cheapster, there is some reference of squeezing the last bit of toothpaste out of the tube. I am here to tell you that even after the last squeeze, there is enough for five or six good brushings.

The first time I thought about this I cut the tube in half and started to brush the inside, but then I realized I was contaminating the sides with my brush. So now I horizontally cut the tube in five or six pieces, one for each use.

2. Every time I use dishwashing liquid, I routinely run the top of the bottle under the water and into the suds I am working up. That keeps the top from getting gunky--gunk that could have been usuable soap.

3. Of course, the last shampoo always is gotten after swishing some water around the bottle.

With all this work, I might have extended the use of these products by at least 60 days over the course of my life, and I intend to live to 100.

I do some other cheapy things, but I anticipate that my friends are going to make enough fun of me with these. I am not going to give them any more ammunition.

3 comments:

  1. I have to admit that I have never cut my toothpaste tube but I agree entirely with 2 & 3 right there with you. I'll even throw you some ammo that before the days of surplus free tp a sock would do just fine if we ran out. What? Oh, I mean if you ran out of washcloths in the shower a sock would do just fine. Yeah, that's what I said, right! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have an award to pickup here. Stop on over, grab it and send it on.

    And while you're there check out all the design changes that have been taking place on my site!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a hapenny that son Steven created when demonstrating the amazing cutting ability f his Costco knives. Saving it as a souvenir of what i don't know...

    ReplyDelete