Saturday, November 26, 2011

Frontload Washer? No!


What is that thing pictured? No, it is not a beer dispenser for the fridge. Read on and you'll find out!

An interesting turn in our post-eating Thanksgiving idle talk took us to the discussion of front-load versus top-load washing machines. It began when my sister-in-law commented about the mold that had developed in her front loader. Yuck! It seems that she had some company as others shared similar stories.

I thought about my own experience with a front-load. We had bought an early generation water-saving front loader. I vividly remember taking notes as I watched the instructional VHS tape. But (fortunately!) the machine broke only after three years. I wrote a blog about it on April 11, 2009. http://thriftyandproudofit.blogspot.com/2009/04/clothes-washing-energy-minutia.html

Based on the mold comment, I checked on the internet; and sure enough, it is a common complaint. http://www.networx.com/article/choosing-a-washing-machine-top-loading

However, what is fascinating to me is the high and low of the spectrum. In checking the Home Depot on-line catalog it looks like you can purchase a 4.3 cu. ft. capacity front load steam, Model PFWS4605LMG, for $1,499! However, the shipping is free. But wait! For $599 you can additionally purchase the GE SmartDispense Laundry Pedestal with Storage Drawer, Model # SPBD880JMG that allows you to store up to 6 months of laundry detergent and 95 ounces of fabric softener to be dispensed automatically during the wash and rinse cycles, pictured above. A time-saving and wise investment?

My daughter walked by as I am writing this blog. She remarked that they bought a top-loader for $200, and it works just fine.

No comments:

Post a Comment