Thursday, November 10, 2011

Does a Witch Wear Sequins? Of course!


1980's -- the country experienced an economic uptick, and there was some serious materialism going on. Think Gordon Gekko -- Knoxville style. Well, it wasn't exactly like that. However, it did mean a exceptional number of parties, events that required some serious clothes.

My most prized party-clothes possession was a sequined duster that I bought at Marshall Field's in Chicago in 1989. I am very glad that I do not have the receipt for the coat anymore, because today's me would probably be ashamed of what yesterday's me paid for it.

It is gorgeous -- and I swore to NEVER throw it away, even long after significant shoulder pads were passe and I was too old for bright colors.

It completed a great Halloween costume this year. With pancake make-up, sparkly fake eyelashes, and an awful stringy black wig, the $5 sequined witch's hat that my husband found at Walmart made for a super outfit.

The coat weighs almost 2 1/2 pounds, but it kept me warm! We were at a party in a tent, and the weather had turned exceptionally cold.

No comments:

Post a Comment