Sunday, January 2, 2011

Trying To Find the $5,000, again

Some time ago in my blogging I tried to identify an extra $5,000 in my life in one year. ANY extra money would apply. I did not stick with the goal. I am going to try it again, but I am going to tie to it a specific milestone in my life.

In 1975 when I graduated from college, I was working as a student assistant in the Vocational-Technical Education Department. They were kind enough to put me on full-time in the official University of Tennessee category of "secretary" as I looked for a better job. My starting salary was $5,294, annually.

Very soon I got a much better position as principal secretary in the UT system with a posted starting salary almost twice what I was making. There was only one problem. We were in a recession, and Governor Ray Blanton had frozen all state employee salaries. Therefore, I was stuck with the $5,294, annually. Technically I supervised four other secretaries in my division. Every single one made more than I did. I was not happy in this position and stayed for a brief eight months before I went to work in the private sector. There were a lot of factors, but I cannot believe that there was some underlying resentment of my salary situation.

In 2011 I am going to recoup that $5,294.

No comments:

Post a Comment