Sunday, February 20, 2011

Getting Music for Free

This is not about Pandora or any of those other programs. This is about how procrastination sometimes saves you money.

In 1967 I was a typical high school freshman nerd. Oh, no, it was worse. I was overweight and IN A GIRLS' BOARDING SCHOOL. However, there was a signficant way to escape the nerdiness: music, and the best escape was S-O-U-L. My sister gave me what turned out to be my favorite record of all times. It was the Stax/Volt Revue, Volume 2, Live in Paris. Carla Thomas, Eddie Floyd, Sam & Dave and Otis Redding. Probably not a big seller compared to some of its contemporary recordings. Hmm, I am sure that it was not converted to eight-track, not a tape, not a cd. With our turntable long gone, I had thought about getting someone to make a cd from my old record. The internet has saved me!!! Some lovely person has put them on YouTube, and I can listen to the whole record through the playlist. I'm listening to it now.

Yeah, Sam & Dave, you got me hummin'!

1 comment:

  1. You tube is amazing. and you have an amazing sister. Or two.

    ReplyDelete